Christmas, a day of thanks for our blessings. Irrespective of how one thinks in terms of religion, or faith. Gift giving and so on are but the shallow things involved. In Kantian Ethics we think in terms of final right, or wrong. Good, or evil, doing what is right, moral, and correct because that is what one should do. Not for reward, just because it is the correct thing to do. Even when no one else is watching.
But? Someone, or group always has to screw things up. Muslims stage an attack on innocent people in Nigeria. Some freak shoots up three generations of a family after opening presents, and I am sure that by later today there will be even more atrocities reported.
All of these things usually end up in some insane call for even further restrictions on the freedoms and liberties of the individual. Most often when those very freedoms may have prevented, or lessened the horrors released upon the victims.
More laws will be demanded by those that endure the pain of loss, as well as those with an anti freedom agenda. Any time that a law is passed it ultimately results in a loss of freedom in exchange for some perceived security. Ben Franklin summed that up for us all quite a few years ago. But? Does anyone listen these days to a dead old white man..?
Mark my words, there will be calls for extreme gun control laws in Texas as a result of the tragedy that happened just outside Dallas. But the control freaks will not say a word about what happened in Niger, where, at least legally, no one can own a weapon other than Police and Military, and, yes, you guessed it… Those with the right connections! Further, you can bet your bottom peso that the obama’s reported promise of assistance in fighting the terrorist’s will come with a price tag of some sort. Most probably involving more and liberty damaging policies, procedures, laws, or treaties…
I submit, yes, even after all these years here on WordPress, that individual freedom and liberty could have prevented or greatly lessened the degree of both the above noted tragedies. It is called a 45 Colt or 12 gauge Shotgun in the hands of a brave, willing and trained person. Yes, my Marine and Ranger Brothers will chastise me for saying that, but? Simply put, a rifle was not needed to put a stop to the nonsense!
Political correctness be damned!
- Op-Ed: The Political Correctness Of “Merry Christmas” Has Dangerous Consequences (gloucestercitynews.net)
- CHRISTmas is not Politically Correct (tobytruckwriterbogard.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas (mn2az.blogspot.com)
- Merry Christmas … and I mean Merry Christmas (lomaintchk.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas! (swamericana.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas! (droidflash.wordpress.com)
- Paul Krugman: Conscience Of A Nitwit (contemporarynotes.wordpress.com)
- Would you believe me if I said Merry Christmas? (betweenbrothers.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas (iamnotfromhere.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas (herfavoritejuice.com)
- Merry Christmas! (kbrewer35.wordpress.com)
- Merry merry (saraawhitt.wordpress.com)